Congratulations to each and every one of you for an accomplishment you can not only be proud of for the rest of your life, but also for completing an event that you can draw from as you continue your journey in recovery and in life.
So now what? Here’s a list of some short term practical tips, and some ideas to ponder for the longer term.
1. Celebrate your success!
2. Catch up on your sleep.
3. Eat more protein and carbs for the next day or two to rebuild your muscles and restore your glycogen levels.
4. Hydrate well.
5. Rest on Monday.
6. Go for a short walk on Tuesday, and if you’re up for it, an easy short jog, to loosen your leg muscles.
7. Thank all of those you helped you get there: your teammates, the volunteers, the BTS staff and community, your donors, and many more.
8. Think about the power you drew from being part of the team, and about how you inspired others to do their best. Remember that you are not alone. Know that you now know how to draw strength from those around you and be there for others. Know that together you have the mindset and connections to achieve even more than you can on your own. It takes a village, and you are part of that village.
9. Consider choosing another meaningful goal to work toward, one that seems as crazy big as completing a half or full marathon. Then, remind yourself of how much stronger you are. Remind yourself that you have the power to achieve it.
10.Think about the challenges you expect to face in recovery and in life; and then think about all the challenges you overcame to achieve all that you did today. Think about how you’ll draw on that self-confidence, determination, perseverance, and wisdom to overcome future obstacles that will inevitably come your way.
Life is marathon, and you are ready to take it on!
And last but certainly not least, I want to thank you each of you for this experience. It’s incredibly rewarding to me to see how far you’ve all come. I’ve seen you working hard, achieving your goals, supporting each other, and growing stronger inside and out. Being part of your success is a very meaningful part of my life.
With sincere gratitude for giving me this opportunity,