Think back to where you were with your training back in September. If I had told you then that by early January, you half marathoners would think 9 miles was easy and you full marathoners would consider 12 to be a break after last week’s 16; would you have believed me? I believed in each of you back then, I believe in each you now, and I hope you all believe in yourself now as well. You can all do this! Next Sunday, we’ll be setting new mileage goals for each group – 10 miles for the half marathoners and 15 for the full as prep for 18 the following Sunday. So, here is a checklist to help you prepare and finish strong.
- Please do some mid-week training. A recommended schedule is on the website as well as in the newsletter; but even if you can’t do all that, please get out there a few times and at least do something.
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Put a protein bar, Muscle Milk, or some other protein/carb snack in your car/sweatshirt pocket/running belt or wherever you can get to it as soon as you finish the workout on Sunday
- Eat a “good carbs” breakfast and have a drink of water
During the Run/Walk
- Stay well hydrated. Eat and drink at each of the stops.
- Do the first mile slowly, and finish with a cool-down mile
- Refuel and rehydrate
- Congratulate yourself for a job well done!